Principal's Newsletter - June 1, 2020

Dear Burr Community;

I'm writing to acknowledge the horrific racist events that have affected the African-American community and our country over the past weeks. The killings of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor, and George Floyd have left the country in turmoil and have shaken so many of us to the very core. We are sad, angry, and hurting. 

I applaud those of you who were able to join the Auburndale Family Walk to show solidarity with the protestors across the country. It is important to model to our children that there is power in collective action. Regrettably, there are voices in America that have been unheard for so long that it has resulted in violence and destruction in some cities. 

I fear that the spread of COVID 19, which has disproportionately impacted Black and Brown communities, will continue to spread because of these large gatherings. Unfortunately, it's hard to be heard when you're social distancing, and the outrage felt throughout the country eclipses the dangers posed by the pandemic. 

I know that many of you, like me, are grappling with the question: What can I do at this moment? How do we take care of each other and our children? Burr staff members and parents have reached out to me or each other for support. I don't know anyone who has all the answers - I certainly do not, but I do know I must continue to work towards positive change within my sphere of influence. Each of us has a responsibility to look deep within ourselves and ask what we are doing to ensure that all people feel equally valued in our world. As humans, we are all capable of racism and must actively work to be anti-racist.  

Burr students, no matter how young, are not too young to talk about race and equity. Indeed, our silence about race and racism perpetuates the cycle of inequity and misinformation. These conversations need to be ongoing and revisited often. For your reference, there are several resources on this topic:




There are no easy answers or guidebooks, and each of us has a responsibility to seek ways to make a difference, beginning with educating ourselves. The equity work at Burr has focused heavily on helping staff members confront their own biases so they can adjust their practice to be responsive to all the children and families they serve. Even remotely, we will continue this work, and I invite you to join us by participating in events highlighted by FORJ (Families Organizing for Racial Justice).  

I hope people are also aware that Asians of Chinese descent are experiencing increased racism as people blame them for the pandemic. I am sure that many families in our community will also tell you that they are feeling vulnerable. I know the above resources will support you in your conversations about this as well. 

In closing, I want to remind you all that the Burr staff and I are here to provide whatever support we can. Please do not hesitate to reach out. Meanwhile, I know that the Burr community cares about each other and will wrap their arms around those in need of understanding, comfort, and strength. 

Take care, 

Mindy